httpd-users mailing list archives

From Bostjan Skufca <bost...@a2o.si>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.x configuration for high load servers
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 16:23:13 GMT
Hi Rob,

couple of thoughts below, please inform me if I make wrong deductions
somewhere, tnx.

1. Your static content is served from elsewhere, you are only talking about
application servers
2. Your average response time is 200ms, and given 4cores per server and
excluding delays you are currently processing 20 requests per second per
server tops.
3. If your load is hitting above number of cores your requests are not
served as fast as possible
4. Keepalive timeout, what is your setting? Given the presumption that you
don't serve static content yourself it means that you only serve master html
- you don't need it at all (with given circumstances of course, where each
open connection in keepalive state consumes one apache process)
4a. On the second thought maybe you can use keepalive between load balancer
and APP servers, to avoid additional delay of connection setup
5. Did you consider compiling apache yourself? Build it statically with all
modules compiled in (and as DSO only those modules you need occasionally)
and with -O3? The latter calls for careful testing. Same goes for PHP
6. Did you try profiling your application? Use xdebug to make a request
trace and start optimizing there, usually it is far more efficient that
system-level optimization.
7. Memcache is slow compared to file-based cache, given that you have enough
ram to hold all your files in cache. We've performed the tests and unless
you don't need distributed cache filesystem cache is better/faster solution.
8. Maybe latencytop is the next optimization tool, or ftrace if you are
using linux.
9. IO graphs (IOPS, bytes per seconds, disk time per second, time per IOP),
do you have them?
10. Can you provide also load, cpu utilization, network bytes and packets,
and memory usage graphs?

b.