httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Geoff Millikan" <gmilli...@t1shopper.com>
Subject [users@httpd] htcacheclean vs just "delete all files where mtime > xx days"
Date Sat, 14 May 2011 17:22:33 GMT
Dear List,

We were running this:

htcacheclean -n -t -i -d720 -p /var/httpd/proxy -l 20480M

But we found it:

 1. Takes ~100MB of virtual memory to run
 2. Doesn't have logic (documented) to what's being deleted
 3. Takes many hours to run even when not deleting anything (even without the -n switch)
 4. On our website which has hundreds of thousands of pages getting cached, the biggest our
cache has grown is 9 GB, which isn't
very much. So for us (and I'd imagine most people), htcacheclean usually doesn't end up cleaning
anything.

So instead we're considering switching to using the below command once a day which will delete
all files and directories older than
15 days.  If no deletions (Which is usually the case), the command seems to traverse all the
directories in under a minute.

find /var/httpd/proxy/* -mtime +15 -exec rm -rf {} \;

We just don't want it growing astronomically big, like 100GB.  It would seem we could do this
by simply removing the files which
haven't been modified for 30 days.  (Using atime would be better except we've disabled it
on our file system because it's such a
performance suck.)

Is this solution a bad idea?

Thanks,