httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Need advice to choose a configuration
Date Sun, 22 May 2011 21:58:32 GMT
On 05/22/2011 09:42 PM, Macks, Aaron wrote:
> the only reasons I'd possibly suggest #2 are:
> 1.  multiple SSL certs, it is still not easy to have multiple SSL certs on a single system,
you either need to setup multiple IP addresses for that box or run on multiple virtualservers

All modern browsers now support Server Name Indication (SNI), which
allow you to run SSL vhosts.

> 2.  If you expect the business to get HUGE for some of the sites, then you can spin up
more VServers for only the sites that need to handle more traffic... Then you're probably
talking about dedicated loadbalancers and much more hardware anyway

> so barring those 2 conditions, I agree 100% with Jeroen that #1 is the way to go

> --
> Aaron Macks
> Sr. Unix Systems Engineer
>
> Harvard Business Publishing
> 300 North Beacon St.    |   Watertown, MA 02472
> (617) 783-7461                |   Fax: (617) 783-7467
> www.harvardbusiness.org |   Cell:(978) 317-3614
>
> On May 22, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Jeroen Geilman wrote:
>
>> On 05/22/2011 05:43 PM, Isaac XxX wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> I have to move some sites (10) from virtual hosts to a single dedicated machine.
The number of sites will grow on time.

>>> I've two ways to implement it:
>>> 1. set a single apache instance to serve all sites configuring a single apache
virtual host for each one
>> Yes.
>>
>>> 2. set some virtual servers (with xen for example) and install on each them a
single apache, serving one or few sites. The root partition could had a single apache or nginx
doing the load balance task. Of course, all virtual servers will be on the same dedicated
machine
>> This will consume much more resources.
>>
>>> Wich way you think is better? (performance, maintainment structure, scalability...)
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot
>>
>> --
>> J.

J.