httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question re: httpd automatically stopping
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 12:55:28 GMT
  On May 16, 2011 21:31 , "Matt Windsor" <kung@windstream.net>  wrote:

> Every so often the httpd service on our server will stop -- I'm not
> seeing any attempts to automatically restart.  Any thoughts?  A friend
> of mine recommended the apache userlist.

If you want httpd to automatically be restarted, you will need to set up
something to do this.  Possibilities depend on what your operating
system is, but include a cron job, upstart, launchd, init, launchd, SMF,
or systemd, among others.  However, most people do not do this since
httpd should only stop running when the operating system stops it (e.g.,
when the system is rebooted or powered off) or when an administrator
manually does so.

What are the circumstances under which you are observing httpd stop?
For example:  is there a consistent pattern in the web server access
logs?  (for example, "my web server stops whenever someone tried to
access http://servername/a/b.html")   Is there a consistent pattern in
regards to timing?  (for example, "my web server often stops about two
hours after it is started").

If you are running httpd on a Unix-like system, do you have core dumps
enabled?  If so, are core dumps being produced?  If so, what does the
core dump reveal about what happened?

What version of httpd are you running?  Under what operating system?  Is
there anything special or unique about your configuration?  Can you
think of any other relevant details to include?

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org