httpd-users mailing list archives

From Adam Schrotenboer <adam...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject [users@httpd] flush(STDOUT) + mod_deflate - was: mix pre-compressed and mod_deflate
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 21:39:11 GMT
On 05/10/2011 11:14 AM, Adam Schrotenboer wrote:
> I have a reasonably working mod_rewrite solution for serving
> pre-compressed files. But if I enable mod_deflate, it seems to override
> my mod_rewrite method.
>
> Basic problem is this:
> serving jquery.js with mod_deflate takes 1sec to load, serving it
> pre-compressed (and mod_deflate disabled) takes 180msec to load.
> With mod_rewrite + mod_deflate enabled, I get the same 1sec to load this
> file.
>
> So I want to pre-compress some files, and have the rest be compressed on
> the fly. How do I make mod_deflate get out of the way for pre-compressed
> files?

After more playing with it, the high latency under mod_deflate is caused
by the change required to make 'flush' work (setting a low SetOutputBuffer).

I'm _trying_ to make the javascript start being loaded while the CGI
finishes putting together the page. It seems I can have one or the other
(working flush, or fast mod_deflate).