httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] FilesMatch does nothing
Date Mon, 09 May 2011 13:43:39 GMT
  On May 9, 2011 9:21 , Eric Covener <covener@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> In Apache terms, these requests don't match any Directory or Files
>>> containers because they're not mapped to any Directory or file.
>>> Pieces of the URL aren't files.
>>>
>>> Use Location/LocationMatch.
>> I should use LocationMatch everywhere, it will be less ambiguous for my
>> mind.
> FWIW -- The manual cautions against this, since you might accidentally
> expose a resource on a 2nd URL (or via some 'equivalent URL?') and
> have access control mis-applied.

Or to put this another way...   Location and LocationMatch don't really
control access to resources, they control access via specific resource
names; they leave resources accessible via other names / means.
Directory and DirectoryMatch, on the other hand, protect the actual
filesystem resources.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org