httpd-users mailing list archives

From Knute Johnson <apa...@knutejohnson.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Authorization configuration?
Date Sun, 08 May 2011 05:08:43 GMT
I am working on a configuration for a website.  I want to use different
auth groups on different files.  In the Directory section I use severl
Files directives and it works great.  The wrinkle is the index.html
file.  I want to require auth for it but not for all the files in the
directory.  If I create a Files directive with the index.html file and
attempt to access it with the browser, I get a page that says
Authorization Required but no dialog box to enter the user name and
password.  If I put the Auth directives in the Directory section it
works fine but it also then requires auth for all the other files.  Is
there a simple way around this?

Ubuntu 10.10
Apache 2.2.16

Thanks,