httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason Vas Dias <jason.vas.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] strange encoded requests coming in to my server - like ' "\x80F\x01\x03\x01" ' ??
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 14:46:06 GMT
On Tuesday 31 May 2011 15:37:17 Ben Timby wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Jason Vas Dias
> <jason.vas.dias@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I guess this is just opportunist hosts trying to connect to port 80 / port 443 with
a garbage protocol ?
> > If so, why are log entries made in the access log and not in the error log ?
>
> Jason, this looks like a host connecting to port 443 on your box using
> SSL while your host is not configured to use SSL on that port. In
> other words, the data being sent by the client is enciphered, and your
> host is treating it as plain text.

Thanks Ben - but I don't see how that can be the case :

$ netstat -nautp | grep http
tcp        0      0 :::80                       :::*                        LISTEN      3271/httpd
tcp        0      0 :::443                      :::*                        LISTEN      3271/httpd

But I use a self-signed certificate which most browsers think is invalid until they add an
exception .
There is nothing security sensitive on my home website .

And I can 'openssl s_client connect $MY_HOST:443 -CAfile $my_server_cert'  from an external
internet host .

I just don't think that "non-requests" should appear at all in the access log, since they
involve no accesses .

All the best,
Jason