httpd-users mailing list archives

From Yehuda Katz <yeh...@ymkatz.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] 403 error on Default Directory
Date Fri, 29 Apr 2011 02:30:58 GMT
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM, J. Stephens <onlineworkmail@gmail.com>wrote:

> error log says "[Thu Apr 28 13:50:57 2011] [error] [client 98.226.168.246]
> client denied by server configuration: /"
> my website is at /var/www/testing600.remcycle.net/. Should it be saying
> that directory and not the root directory?
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:37 AM, J. Stephens <onlineworkmail@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I am getting 403 errors when I add a new vhost. at
>> testing601.remcycle.net I get 403, but at
>> testing601.remcycle.net/index.html it works. What are the possible causes
>> of this 403 error?
>>
> All it is telling you is the configuration that is being inherited from a
config for /.

The closest thing I have to Debian Squeeze is Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04). It
has this comment in "/etc/apache2/conf.d/security":

> # Disable access to the entire file system except for the directories that
> # are explicitly allowed later.
> #
> # This currently breaks the configurations that come with some web
> application
> # Debian packages. It will be made the default for the release after lenny.
> #
> #<Directory />
> #       AllowOverride None
> #       Order Deny,Allow
> #       Deny from all
> #</Directory>

Since Squeeze is after Lenny, this might mean that a good place to start
looking for your problem is wherever you have your <Directory /var/www/
testing600.remcycle.net/> directive.

Do you have the mod_info handler enabled? It might be able to help find the
offending directive.
(Documentation: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_info.html)

- Yehuda