httpd-users mailing list archives

From Edgar Frank <ef-li...@email.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problems with delivering precompressed content
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:46:39 GMT
Am 20.04.2011 20:25, schrieb Eric Covener:
>> So I'd like to know, what your suggestions are. Is there a way to get
>> mod_negotiation to work the way I have in mind? Am I missing something or is
>> there an alternative solution?
>
> I've never understood this much -- but I thought this worked as long
> as your links were to /foo instead of /foo.js with foo.js and
> foo.js.gz in the filesystem.

This might be a possibility, but I dislike the loss of information.
IMHO it should be clearly visible to the user which type of resource he
requests by the the file extension. But I'll discuss that.

> You could rewrite these on the way in, from /foo to /foo.js with the
> [PT] flag, then let multiviews pick and setup the headers.  Other
> people use rewrite and mod_setenvif/mod_headers all the way through
> and skip mod_negotiation.

Did you mean rewriting /foo.js to /foo? Sounds interesting, especially
with the [PT] flag. This should circumvent the possibility of
parsing the rewritten url as a filesystem path, right?
(e.g. requesting /etc/passwd.js)

> I think there's lot of room for improvement in httpd and in the doc or
> wiki for precompressed content on an existing site.

I'm looking forward to it. Admittedly the docs didn't help me that much
so I dived into the source of mod_negotiation, which is quite a
bunch of code (~3000-4000 lines).

Regards,
Edgar