httpd-users mailing list archives

From Edgar Frank <ef-li...@email.de>
Subject [users@httpd] problems with delivering precompressed content
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 18:05:22 GMT
Hi apache folks,

I've been struggling with precompressed content for a while now, but I
can't find a satisfying solution.

There are plenty of .js and .css, which I currently compress at runtime
with mod_deflate.

To save CPU load, I want to precompress these, put them as .(js|css).gz
on the server and deliver the precompressed variant transparently
depending on Accept-Encoding.

By now, I tried two possible ways of doing this.

1) mod_rewrite
I tried to switch according to RewriteCond's, while checking the
accessibility of the requested file and the rewritten file with
subrequests (security concerns). While this seems to work, the security
guys at my company complain, that mod_rewrite should be absolutely the
last resort. If mod_rewrite would be the solution, we'd rather do
dynamic compression (this might sound paranoid, but they have good
reason and we have a very high focus on security).

2) mod_negotiation
I tried both MultiViews and type-maps. Maybe I misunderstood typemaps -
but, I would have to place a <filename>.var file everywhere I want a
negotiated file? This would be cumbersome, as I want the negotiation to
be transparent and I don't want the user to request a .js.var file.

So I switched to MultiViews, which brings up the next problem. I have to
rename the uncompressed file to something else like <name>.js.plain for
MultiViews to kick in on GET /name.js. After removing .gz as a known
type and adding the encoding to mod_mime, delivery of precompressed
content works fine.

Unfortunately, the plain content is no longer accessible. The plain file
isn't a variant for mod_negotiation, if I get it right. I would have to
associate the identity encoding with a negotiable file extension. But I
found no way to accomplish this.

So now, I'm looking for other ways. I noticed mod_gzip, which looks like
it could do this sort of thing. But there were no updates for quite a
time now and it's not an Apache project, which discourages its use for
us (security concerns and a different release cycle).

So I'd like to know, what your suggestions are. Is there a way to get
mod_negotiation to work the way I have in mind? Am I missing something
or is there an alternative solution?

Regards,
Edgar