httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Incomplete file downloads if Apache HTTPD is killed
Date Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:48:13 GMT
  On April 20, 2011 11:11 , Bostjan Skufca <bostjan@a2o.si>  wrote:
> if a server is killed (SIGKILL) during a "large" static file transfer,
> then the client is not notified by his browser that file has not been
> completely downloaded. On Win it just says it is not a valid Win32
> application or corrupted or sth.
> Now I know this is not a general problem and a graceful restart is the
> way to go around this, but if I do an upgrade then proper restart is
> required, or at least I think I remember I had problems with graceful
> restart in such situations.

Sending a SIGKILL is an unfriendly way to end a process -- it causes the
kernel to immediately terminate the process, without giving the process
any chance to clean up.  SIGKILL is thus not one of the signals handled
specially by Apache HTTP Server.  For a list of the signals that are
handled specially, see http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/stopping.html

If you'd like to completely stop Apache HTTP Server so you can manually
restart it later, then sending SIGWINCH will cause httpd to exit
gracefully after completing any current requests or after
GracefulShutdownTimeout is reached, whichever comes first.
Alternatively, you can cause httpd to exit more quickly, interrupting
any current requests, by sending it a SIGTERM.  I don't know for sure if
either of these will cause a TCP RST to be sent to the client, but I
think the odds are better than if you used a SIGKILL.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org