httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stevie <iglabl...@yahoo.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Unable to create core dumps with Apache 2.2.14 on Ubuntu 10.04 x64
Date Tue, 26 Apr 2011 14:35:26 GMT
Apache 2.2.14, installed via package management with all defaults, is seg
faulting; multiple child processes are crashing during the business day when the
server is at its heaviest load. I have been unsuccessful in all attempts to
create core dumps for this server after following a number of steps. I have done
the following:

1. Changed core file limits: ulimit -a shows unlimited for user root, as well as
my own non-privileged user account. I also added it to /etc/profile.

2. Added the CoreDumpDirectory to the apache2.conf file and pointed it to
/tmp/apache2-debug initially, then changed it to /var/cache/apache2 as per the
instructions found in /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/README.backtrace
3. Restarted Apache; not reloaded, but actually service apache2 stop, then
service apache2 start
4. chmod the dump directory to 777

I had made an image of this server prior to putting it into production, and used
the image to create a virtual machine to test on. Following only the steps in
that backtrace document above, I was able to get a core dump file created. For
some reason I cannot get it working on the actual production server. Can folks
who have successfully gotten core dumps share their experiences with me?