httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Trawick <traw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Slow performance of Apache on Windows
Date Wed, 09 Mar 2011 22:56:22 GMT
On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Feldhacker, Chris
<Feldhacker.Chris@principal.com> wrote:
> [...]
HTTP transfer performance problems with Windows XP clients, and *extreme* performance problems
with Windows 7 clients.
>>> Apache HTTP Server running on RedHat Linux 5 performs fine with both XP and W7
clients.
>>> IIS and Small HTTP Server on Windows 2003/2008 perform fine with both XP and
W7 clients.

>> Did you ever get a network trace with IIS as the server to see how it differs from
the trace with Apache?

> Yes, the delayed acknowledgements by the client for the packet with the push flag were
no longer present -- acks were being sent very quickly.  (The time deltas for pretty much
all network traffic was basically next to zero.)  Other than the shortened delays, there
were no other obvious differences between the traces.

ok; there must be something different though up until the point where
the client does/does not delay before sending the packet

odd number of packets up until this point with Apache, but even with
the other servers?  (odd is where the delay kicks in, right?)

--/--

It is probably present in all that info somewhere, but how do we know
that the TCP window size for IIS is not larger than the one for
Apache?