httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Hirt <bh...@me.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Question about RewriteMap files on a NFS filesystem
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:48:14 GMT
Hello,

We have a bunch of rewrite rules that use four standard plain text rewrite maps (ie RewriteMap
mymap txt:/some/file).    These rewrite maps only change about once a month, but when they
do change, apache picks up the chances pretty much immediately.   I'm assuming that apache
is doing a stat on the file every so often but I'm not really sure how ofter.  Does it do
it per request or does it limit it to a time frame like once per second?   We've been using
this setup in production for years and have never had any problems.    We have many machines
in our cluster that have the exact same setup with the exact same maps, and when we want to
make changes we have to do it on each machine.  All the machines in the cluster have a shared
nfs/drbd/pacemaker file system and the first thought is "wow things would be some much cleaner
if all these rewrite maps were located in a single place", but that's where my concern comes
in.   What happens if these maps are on a shared NFS filesystem.   Will apache be able to
pick up changes made to the file?   Will i start getting 100s of stats per second to the NFS
filesystem?

Is there anyone that has any sort of advice or experience with this sort of setup?  Any words
of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Hirt