httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache is too slow with SSL
Date Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:56:06 GMT
  On March 30, 2011 19:44 , Ishita Kapadiya <ishimegh@gmail.com>  wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Thanks for your suggestion. I tried below settings in httpd.conf -
>
> <IfModule ssl_module>
> #SSLRandomSeed startup builtin
> #SSLRandomSeed connect builtin
> SSLRandomSeed startup file:/dev/urandom 1024
> SSLRandomSeed connect file:/dev/urandom 1024
> </IfModule>
>
> the commented line was there when I initially posted my query and now
> I changed it with mentioned lines. But still got the same result.
> Even i tried with /dev/random option but that option didn't work at
> all (may be not supported with my OS config)
> Could you or anyone please help me to resolve this problem. I want to
> resolve it. I tried to google it but couldn't find any solution.
> Any help will be great.

I had to scale things back a bit in the VM guest that I use for
development, but here is what I'm seeing:

ab -n 10000 -c 10 http://f14dev1.catseye.org/index.html
Time taken for tests:   2.579 seconds

ab -n 10000 -c 10 https://f14dev1.catseye.org/index.html
Time taken for tests:   197.999 seconds

This is a ratio ( time for HTTPS / time for HTTP ) of 76.77.  In your
original message, you had a ratio of 62.74.

The following Q&A observes the same thing, and it includes a number of
explanations:

http://serverfault.com/questions/43692/how-much-of-a-performance-hit-for-https-vs-http-for-apache

In other words, there is likely not anything wrong with your configuration.

A final note:  the performance difference does seem to center around the
TLS session negotiation rather than encryption.  If I enable keepalive
for my benchmark, the time for HTTP decreases from 2.575 seconds to
1.437 seconds; but the time for HTTPS drops from 197.999 seconds to
4.237 seconds (yes, 193 seconds quicker simply by reusing connections!)

I hope this helps.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org