httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] reverse proxy based on user agent
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 19:48:24 GMT
On 03/24/2011 05:14 PM, Carlos del Castillo wrote:
> Hello everyone, I have a web server that is load balancing two tomcat servers using the
proxy module, all is working well but now I need to add a third one, but we need to send very
specific user_agents to that third server. The URLs must be the same.

> Right now my configuration looks like this:
>

> ProxyRequests Off
> ProxyVia Off
> ProxyPreserveHost On
>
> <Proxy *>
> 	Order deny,allow
> 	Allow from all
> </Proxy>
>
> <Proxy balancer://cluster>
> 	BalancerMember ajp://server1:8009 route=as1 loadfactor=50
> 	BalancerMember ajp://server2:8009 route=as2 loadfactor=50
> </Proxy>
>

> ProxyPass / balancer://cluster/ stickysession=JSESSIONID
> ProxyPassReverse / balancer://cluster/
>
> I've bee looking to the mod_rewirte module, but I'm not sure how I could add the third
server and only send the specific user agents to that server.

This can be done fairly easily using a rewritecond:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} /some/matching/regex/
RewriteRule / ajp://server3:8009/ [P]

HOWEVER, this cannot be done inside the context of your balancer -
unless you do all three this way.
So you lose the sessionID.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_rewrite.html

--