httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Architecture of HTTPD/Tomcat Handoff
Date Thu, 03 Mar 2011 19:11:04 GMT
On 3/3/2011 12:32 PM, Rowe, Daniel wrote:

> My question is: when a user hits the HTTPD server, and the server redirects them to
> Tomcat, will that user’s traffic continue to pass through HTTPD for every transaction,
or
> will it be completely handed off to Tomcat and the HTTPD server washes it’s hands of
the
> interaction?

If you truly -redirect-, sending the user to a different IP/port combination that
Tomcat is listening to, then yes, the client disconnects from the httpd server.

But that probably isn't what you configured.  Using ProxyPass (or Rewrite [P] to
proxy the request) as a gateway transaction means that httpd passes through all
of the traffic between the client and backend tomcat server, and this represents
one worker in use in httpd throughout the transaction and keep-alive period.