httpd-users mailing list archives

From Doug McNutt <dougl...@macnauchtan.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Newbie
Date Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:57:34 GMT
At 11:40 -0600 2/24/11, Matt Guise wrote:
>My ultimate goal is to run the server on my iMac running Mac OS X Version
>10.6.6.  Using Adobe Dreamweaver I want to test PHP pages locally on my
>computer. All mac's come with Apache installed but for some reason mine is
>not running right. I called AppleCare and they said that I need to reinstall
>Apache.
>
>When I type in the Safari browser " http://localhost/" I get the message "
>Safari can't open the page "http://localhost/" because the server
>unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server
>is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again."

I'm surprised, but AppleCare might have missed the obvious:  You will need to turn on the
general features of file sharing in OS X. System preferences is the application and Network
or Sharing are the GUI style questions. They are obvious to a casual user but frustratingly
complex when viewed by a UNIX user.

--

--> A fair tax is one that you pay but I don't <--