httpd-users mailing list archives

From Ian Stradling <...@impalanetworks.com>
Subject [users@httpd] re: Rewrite Conditions & Rules
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2011 19:40:14 GMT
Hi Folks,

I'm new to the manual side of web administration, and am using Apache2 in a Debian Linux distribution.

I was asked by my boss to set up a situation where we force SSL on certain portions of a website,
and turn it off when the viewer goes to another page on the site. I have decided to use mod_rewrite
to do so.  I've read through and have come up with the below code.

This set of code is on the base port 80 site.  I have created this code with the intent to
rewrite the URL to SSL if the page is not the string.

	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/home
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/insurance-tips
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/add-a-tip
	RewriteCond %{HTTPS} !=on
	RewriteRule .* https://www.website.com/$1 [R,L]

This set of code, I have written on the 443 SSL site.

	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/home
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/insurance-tips
	RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^/add-a-tip
	RewriteCond %{HTTPS} =on
	RewriteRule ^/(.*) http://www.website.com/$1 [R,L]

When you first go to the site, it behaves as I want it to and leaves everything as HTTP.
But when you go back to the home page, it is supposed to remove the HTTPS, but it does not.
 I'm hoping that someone can critique my code here and tell me where I've gone wrong.  I appreciate
any feedback.

Thanks!

Ian Stradling