httpd-users mailing list archives

From Stormy <storm...@stormy.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Domain Registrant's Details
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2011 14:12:55 GMT
At 03:25 AM 2/9/2011 +0000, Stephen Love wrote:
>I do know that GoDaddy.com has a private/lock feature that hides details
>of the ownership info, but I've just never chosen to use it. [snip]

This is really OT for this list, but one of my "functions" is setting
policy and overseeing the abuse desks covering nearly 3*10^6 user email
addresses. If spam is detected coming from *your* domain (whether you are a
direct spammer or your system has become infected with a worm, trojan,
botnet, etc) and we cannot contact *you*, then we will contact your IP
supplier - and this can hurt *you* as most suppliers (who are not already
black-listed) have strict ToS (Terms of Service) and AUPs (Authorized User
Policies) banning Unsolicited Bulk Email (UBE).

Godaddy are amongst the worst offenders (from an abuse desk pov) for
"cloaking" - to the point that we hardly use their whois at all, and just
advise the IP supplier direct. Other registrars offer a "semi private"
email forwarding scheme that will take most of *your* pain away while still
allowing contact with role addresses (postmaster@, admin@, etc)

My two cents...
Best - Paul