httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] compression on hard disks
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:06:34 GMT

On Jan 31, 2011, at 6:57 AM, Jeff Shearer wrote:

> I have been using compression to minimize network traffic and am now wondering if Apache
can be configure to use compressed files stored on disk.  This question also drives a second
question: if Apache can use compressed files stored on hard disks, can Apache simply pass
the compression through to the client?

> Please feel free to share your insights about the use of such configurations if you have
any..

File compression and decompression happens within your operating system, and Apache doesn't
care. That is, it requests the file from the OS and the OS hands it over. Apache has no concern
or interest in how that file is stored on, or retrieved from, disk.

This means, of course, that when Apache receives the file, it is no longer compresses. So
apart from the performance hit in decompression, it doesn't notice at all. It also means that
no, it can't pass that compression through to the client. It can, however, recompress it using
mod_deflate.

From a website performance perspective, compressed filesystems are a bad idea. Presumably
you have other considerations?

--