httpd-users mailing list archives

From Oliver Beattie <oli...@obeattie.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Custom authentication?
Date Tue, 04 Jan 2011 11:19:01 GMT
Hi there,

I am sure this question has likely been asked many times before, I'm just
having a bit of a hard time finding answers.

Basically, I need to be able to authenticate downloads based on a URL
signature if present (passed as a query parameter), instead of via Basic
authentication (I need to support both of these, but bypass the basic auth
if no signature is present). It isn't a requirement that they live at the
same path, so they can be at different virtual hosts/directories if
necessary.

At first, I thought the best way to do this would be just through a simple
CGI/WSGI/whatever, but the files I am authenticating access to are very
large (many GB) and I fear there may be a performance implication of doing
this (and things like Range requests won't be possible without extra work).

Has anyone had any experience with this? What is the best way to proceed?
Any help anyone could give would be very much appreciated :)

—Oliver