httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] disable wget-like user-agents
Date Wed, 05 Jan 2011 03:41:57 GMT
  On January 4, 2011 22:32 , Carlos S <neubyr@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recently I was trying to download a package using wget, but the
> website prevented access to it. I tried --user-agent  option but it
> didn't work either. So I was curious to know what strategy this web
> admin must have implemented.

Without an example URL, I can only speculate, but the ideas that come to
mind first are denying the download unless a cookie is set (you could
get quite complex with this, such as setting the cookie via JavaScript,
which wget won't execute), checking the referrer header, or other
JavaScript based checks.

--
   Mark Montague
   mark@catseye.org