httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Shearer" <j...@shearer-family.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] compression on hard disks
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:15:45 GMT
Thanks for the references and your insights.  I will give some of these ideas a try and see
how it works out for me.

======================
Jeff Shearer, CISA, CISSP

-----Original Message-----
From: "Tom Evans" [tevans.uk@googlemail.com]
Date: 01/31/2011 04:33 AM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] compression on hard disks

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Rich Bowen <rbowen@rcbowen.com> wrote:
> File compression and decompression happens within your operating system, and Apache doesn't
care. That is, it requests the file from the OS and the OS hands it over. Apache has no concern
or interest in how that file is stored on, or retrieved from, disk.

> This means, of course, that when Apache receives the file, it is no longer compresses.
So apart from the performance hit in decompression, it doesn't notice at all. It also means
that no, it can't pass that compression through to the client. It can, however, recompress
it using mod_deflate.

> From a website performance perspective, compressed filesystems are a bad idea. Presumably
you have other considerations?

Pretty sure the OP meant pre-compressed files, so Apache doesn't have
to compress them itself, and serve them with mod_negotiation, which
several other people have already commented on, so I'll skip that.

Compressed filesystems are a bad idea for serving files from. However
they may have other uses; I use a lzjb compressed /var/log partition
on ZFS, and that is quite handy from a performance POV.

Cheers

Tom