httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Sending Apache 2.2 log files to Syslog while using Unbuntu 10.4
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:57:16 GMT
On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Nathan Belk <> wrote:
> I am running into two main problems.  First, only certain messages from
> the error log are being sent to syslog.  Syslog will receive the
> messages about the server status (startup, shutdown).  However, error
> messages dealing with file access errors still show up in the original
> file /var/log/apache2/error.log.

You configured syslog in the base server then overrid it in a virtualhost.

> I would like to set it up so all logs get sent to syslog.

Find all of your ErrorLog directives...

> The other issue I'm having is with the access logs.  I try changing the
> path but all access logs are still logged onto the original file
> /var/log/apache2/access.log.  When I try changing the path, the new file
> will be created but messages are still written to the original access
> log file.

Probably the same problem.

> Here is a portion of the config file I am working with.  I have tried
> making the changes in apache2.conf as well as httpd.conf but nothing
> changes with either of these.
> ErrorLog syslog:local7
> LogLevel info
> LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
> combined
> CustomLog "/var/log/apache2/myaccesstest.log" combined

Must be hitting some other virtualhost that you're not editing.  try grep.

Eric Covener

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest: