httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tom Evans <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Alias-ed directory appears on multiple virtual hosts
Date Wed, 08 Dec 2010 11:48:44 GMT
On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM,  <> wrote:
> Just to make it clear:
> What I perceived as a .. quirky behaviour of apache was that it did _not_
> throw an error when https://not-ssl-configured-domain.xx is requested.
> How to run several https domains with one IP was not my challenge.
> / Bernd

Until the incoming request has been received and decrypted, apache has
no clue that the domain requested was 'not-ssl-configured-domain.xx'.
That's kind of the point of SSL.

In order to decrypt the request, apache must handshake with the
client, passing certificates to the client indicating what the host
is. This happens before the client sends any information about the

Apache determines which vhost to use to send certificates from based
on the ip:port, since no other information is available.

Because of this, if you have two hosts, and, that resolve to the same IP address, and configure SSL
for, then requesting via SSL will connect
and handshake using certificates from and serve data
from the vhost.

It's not quirky, it's a direct consequence of how things work, and
without changing how SSL works it will always work that way.

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail: