httpd-users mailing list archives

From Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] problem setting https:// in local server
Date Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:17:29 GMT
On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM, J. Bakshi <joydeep@infoservices.in> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I have no issue making virtual domain in a local-server with apache vhost technique,
so users within the intranet can access those  virtual domains, once they have the proper
entry in their  own /etc/hosts file.  But the problem is  with virtual domains having SSL
support. Visiting such sites from workstation within the intranet through firefox reports

> ```````````````````````
>  SSL received a record that exceeded the maximum permissible length.
>
> (Error code: ssl_error_rx_record_too_long)
> ````````````````````
>
> Obviously the domain entry is already there in the /etc/hosts of the workstation from
where the site is called ; like

>        192.168.1.1   mydomain.com
>
> Could anyone suggest any clue which cause the problem ? ( there is nothing available
in the log )

> Here is the configuration of such a SSL enable virtual domain
>
> ``````````````````````````````
> Listen 400
> <VirtualHost mydomain.com:400>

Use * or an ip address here if you can instead of a hostname.  If you
use an IP address, it has to match the local interface the connection
appears on.

You may not even be hitting this virtualhost, and instead hitting the
base configuration which is not SSL enabled.

--
Eric Covener
covener@gmail.com