httpd-users mailing list archives

From Don Hill <justj...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] httpd mod_jk cluster
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 03:05:42 GMT
Hi.

I am working on a tomcat 5.5 cluster which is using ajp/1.3 and mod_jk and
trying to determine the best cluster design given the hardware. I have 2
xeon 2.3 ghz 2 CPU machines with 38GB ram machine. Currently here is the
config I am using. The TOMCAT and HTTPD servers are on the same physical
machine.

Each machine is running HTTPD 1.3 with prefork, the MaxClients is 256 due
compiled in limits. Each machine has 4 virtualhosts running through one
instance of HTTPD. Two of the VHOSTS are the same app running on 2 Tomcat
5.5 with 8GB RAM(configured by customer). The workers are configured to each
VHOST meaning for each machine there are 4 workers defined and one worker
is defined for each VHOST. I will try and depict this below. The current
load balancing is controlled by F5 and manages the load across 2 machines, 4
VHOST for each app.

Based on this info can someone recommend if this configuration could be
improved and if so what would you recommend ?

Attached is a pic of the cluster

Thanks for any help on this.