httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache HTTPD 2.2.6 + mod_ssl 2.2.6 -- odd error...
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:53:30 GMT

On Dec 1, 2010, at 7:30 AM, J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:

> 	In hindsight, the fact these messages were not prefixed by typical
> 	Apache error log tokens like like [timestamp] [severity] [client]
> 	should have been the tipoff here.

That is true, log messages from the server (through ap_log_error() variants) have a well defined

> 	MANAGE SSL CERTIFICATES.  The output from backtick'd calls to the
> 	OPENSSL utility was being output to syserr which of course PHP (using
> 	mod_php5) was shunting to the Apache error log for lack of a better
> 	place to put it.

Apache redirects the stderr stream to its error log after it starts up.  PHP et. al. have
no influence over this.

> 	Should be safe to proceed with the other applications of these new
> 	certificates that are so critical today.
> 	Thanks for everybody's patience and indulgence -- clearly this should
> 	never have been posted here, but I was desperate.

Good to hear, happy to help out.  That's why we have this list!

Sander Temme
PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability:

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest: