httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <jer...@adaptr.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: httpd mod_jk cluster
Date Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:02:06 GMT
On 12/28/10 3:18 PM, Don Hill wrote:
> What I really want to know is there a better design that I should use
> to gain performance.

Umm.. switch to using mod_proxy_ajp, as the apache documentation suggests ?

It offers a binary interface and much improved speed.

> for example
>
> 1.) create multiple HTTPD servers, 2 servers per machine. Each serving
> 2 tomcats JVM

Why ?
Is your tomcat setup not multithreaded ?

> 2.) use load balancer in workers to handle the load balance to the
> JVM's. The current configuration is balancing through the vhosts and
> each vhost has a worker for a JVM instance.

That doesn't really make any sense. You can load balance connections,
but what does "load balance through vhosts" mean ?

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Don Hill <justj2ee@gmail.com
> <mailto:justj2ee@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi.
>
>     I am working on a tomcat 5.5 cluster which is using ajp/1.3 and
>     mod_jk and trying to determine the best cluster design given the
>     hardware. I have 2 xeon 2.3 ghz 2 CPU machines with 38GB ram
>     machine. Currently here is the config I am using. The TOMCAT and
>     HTTPD servers are on the same physical machine.
>
>     Each machine is running HTTPD 1.3 with prefork,

You're joking.
Apache 1.3 is EOL. No longer supported. d-e-d-d DEAD.

>     the MaxClients is 256 due compiled in limits. Each machine has 4
>     virtualhosts running through one instance of HTTPD. Two of the
>     VHOSTS are the same app running on 2 Tomcat 5.5 with 8GB
>     RAM(configured by customer). The workers are configured to each
>     VHOST meaning for each machine there are 4 workers defined and one
>     worker is defined for each VHOST. I will try and depict this
>     below. The current load balancing is controlled by F5 and manages
>     the load across 2 machines, 4 VHOST for each app.
>
>     Based on this info can someone recommend if this configuration
>     could be improved and if so what would you recommend ?

Shit yes - replace apache by something from this century. 2.2.17 is current.

Then proceed to learn all about mod_proxy_balancer, which was made for
this kind of setup.

--
J.