httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Craig A. James" <cja...@emolecules.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] DNS Lookups even with HostnameLookups Off
Date Wed, 15 Dec 2010 18:53:35 GMT
On 12/15/10 10:24 AM, Frank Gingras wrote:

> On 12/15/2010 01:10 PM, Craig A. James wrote:
>> We set "HostnameLookups Off", yet we see many hostnames in both
>> /var/log/apache2/access.log and /var/log/apache2/rewrite log.
>>
>> This is causing huge problems because some of our clients have IP
>> addresses with no DNS entries, and the delay caused by the lookup is
>> enough to trigger a missed TCP/IP ACK packet on the client, resulting in
>> a five-second delay for every single GET request.
>>
>> What, besides "HostnameLookups", can cause Apache to do a DNS lookup?
>>
>> (And yes, I checked HostnameLookups VERY carefully. It is Off in
>> apache2.conf, and doesn't occur anywhere else in the entire disk drive.)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Craig

> Craig,
>
> Allow from <hostname> or <VirtualHost <hostname>:<port> > could
cause that as well.
Thanks, good point.  But we don't do this anywhere.  All of our virtual hosts are <VirtualHost
*:80> followed by a "ServerName" directive.  And all of our "Allow from" are IP addresses.

The odd thing is that only two customers have problems, but both of them are using Windows
XP.  If we change to "Allow from all", their performance suddenly jumps to normal.

Thanks,
Craig