httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] How to configure SSL-Proxy Session-Resumption?
Date Sun, 05 Dec 2010 11:16:41 GMT
On 05.12.2010 01:30, Qingshan Xie wrote:
> Hello!
>
>    We have a Reverse Proxy server, which initiates SSL connection to the backend
> server, functioning as a SSL client.  In order to enable Session-Resumption,
> should we configure SSLSessionCache and SSLSessionCacheTimeout?

AFAIR the reverse proxy does not implement session resumption for SSL
backends. It neither uses its own SSL session cache nor the caching
facilities provided by OpenSSL itself. It only uses its own SSL session
caching when acting as an SSL server, not when acting as an SSL client.

It is not as bad as it sounds: the proxy - if configured correctly -
uses HTTP Keep-Alive connections to the SSL backend and dispatches all
incoming requests to a pool of backend connections. So when load
increases you typically need much less backend connections and thus SSL
handshakes than you would need for direct client communications.

I did a little experiment a few months ago, so there is a patch for
Apache 2.2.x at
http://people.apache.org/~rjung/patches/apache-2_2-revproxy_ssl_client_session.patch
which uses Apache's internal session cache also for the SSL client in
the reverse proxy. The patch is experimental. As far as I remember it
did work, but there are some debug statements in it etc. It was
developed using 2.2.15, but it does apply cleanly to the head of 2.2.
When experimenting with the patch it will use the settings provided by
SSLSessionCache and SSLSessionCacheTimeout.

Regards,

Rainer