httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jeroen Geilman <>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Want more info about logging works
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 16:14:14 GMT
On 12/01/2010 07:38 PM, wrote:
> Hello !
> I am just using this to log:
> LogFormat \
> 	"%{%F %T}t\t%v\t%p\t%h\t%{User-Agent} ... \
> 	vhost_combined2
> CustomLog "|/usr/bin/mono /test/eco.exe /var/log/apache2/extra_log 86400" \
> 	vhost_combined2

> May I use just a named pipe?

You may log to any target the CustomLog documentation says is supported.

>   What will happen, it the reader has a short
> "dropout", is there a buffer and if not, would apache continue to log
> to that pipe later?

If the logging process is interrupted for any reason, apache can
obviously not guarantee logging.

> If I use only one [global] logging directive, would all instances
> really use this one log?

> Because the timestamp does not contain milliseconds, how can I
> determine, which request was the first? Would it help me, just
> to subtract the processing-time?

Probably not.
Use a logging mechanism that records milli- or microseconds if you need
The apache log contains the time of *completion* for the entire request,
not the start time.

> It would really help me to understand, how the logging
> is really working!

It's well documented at

See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: