httpd-users mailing list archives

From Nathan Belk <nb...@nitrosecurity.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Sending Apache 2.2 log files to Syslog while using Unbuntu 10.4
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 15:54:53 GMT
I am running into two main problems.  First, only certain messages from
the error log are being sent to syslog.  Syslog will receive the
messages about the server status (startup, shutdown).  However, error
messages dealing with file access errors still show up in the original
file /var/log/apache2/error.log.

I would like to set it up so all logs get sent to syslog.

The other issue I'm having is with the access logs.  I try changing the
path but all access logs are still logged onto the original file
/var/log/apache2/access.log.  When I try changing the path, the new file
will be created but messages are still written to the original access
log file.

Here is a portion of the config file I am working with.  I have tried
making the changes in apache2.conf as well as httpd.conf but nothing
changes with either of these.

ErrorLog syslog:local7
LogLevel info
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %O \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\""
combined
CustomLog "/var/log/apache2/myaccesstest.log" combined

I have also tried the custom log directive like this:

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/myaccesstest.log combined

I was able to send the error log to syslog successfully when I tried using Fedora 14 (I was
unable to send the access log but I think that is because of my lack of knowledge and I just
need to do more research on how to send it correctly) but I also need to be able to successfully
send log messages to syslog on unbuntu as well.

My searches do not turn up anything that has helped.  If anyone knows
what I might be doing wrong, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

nrbelk@nitrosecurity.com

This e-mail message and any attachments contain information that is confidential and may be
privileged.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.
 If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying
to this message or by sending an email to postmaster@nitrosecurity.com, and destroy all copies
of this message and any attachments without reading or disclosing them.  Thank you.