httpd-users mailing list archives

From Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Alias-ed directory appears on multiple virtual hosts
Date Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:07:20 GMT
On 08.12.10 12:45, Tom Evans wrote:
> The best way to avoid this problem is not dummy vhosts, it is to not
> serve multiple websites from the same IP if you intend on handling SSL
> for any one of those websites and not the others. SSL sites that share
> a certificate (eg, if you have a wildcard certificate) are fine to
> share an IP.

but when anyone points any hostname to the same address, he can ONLY process
it as
- the main and only host on the adress
- throw and error "host not configured".
for the latter, he must configure one more virtual host on the same IP/port
pair because apache does NOT know the "host not configured" error so we must
"create" it.