httpd-users mailing list archives

From Michael Gale <Michael.G...@pason.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Apache and distcache help
Date Tue, 14 Dec 2010 23:32:09 GMT
Hello,

    In attempting to show improvements in Session Caching I have done the following:

# Against a single web server:
Openssl s_client -connect web-tst-1:443 -state -reconnect > /tmp/mylog.txt 2>&1

Then I would `grep -i reuse /tmp/mylog.txt` and it shows that the session was reused.

# Against the load balancer which is LVS (linux virtual server w/ TUN method)
Openssl s_client -connect lb-web-tst:443 -state -reconnect > /tmp/mylog.txt 2>&1

Then I would `grep -i reuse /tmp/mylog.txt` and it shows that the session was never reused
and a new one was created everytime.

I then created a more detailed test using openssl s_client and dumping the session using `-sess_out`
and then tried to make follow up calls using `-sess_in` and providing the session ID.

Again if I hit a single server the ID is reused but if I go through the load balancer and
the request hit difference servers that session is not reused.

I tried downing a web server behind the load balancer so only 1 server was up and the session
was reused.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. Is the manner in which I am testing SSLSessionCache correct?
2. My understanding is that the Session cache is shared amongst all the web servers so the
SessionID would be reused, if that correct?

Michael