httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Multi-level virtualhost inherit
Date Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:47:11 GMT

----- "FROIDURE Nicolas" <froidure_nicolas@yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>      Thanks for the tip. It seems to be a better solution for me : In
> Debian it seems that each virtualhosts are confined on a single file
> and
> included with the Include directive (with a path having a wildcard) on
> the main configuration file.

That's just the way Debian does it. And many folks aren't quite happy
with that solution.
You see, your run-of-the-mill vhost looks like

<VirtualHost *:80>
   ServerName some.example.com
   DocumentRoot /srv/web/some.example.com/htdocs
</VirtualHost>

Putting that in one file? Does it make sense? I don't know..
Lets see how this works out with mod_macro:

<Macro STDVHost $sname
  <VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName sname
     DocumentRoot /srv/web/sname/htdocs
  </VirtualHost>
</Macro>

And then you have one line you can put in a file:
Use STDVhost some.example.com

>      In my first dedicated server, each virtualhost were directly
> included in the main configuration files. Do you think that the
> difference in terms of performances at startup or whatever is
> important ?

How many vhosts are we talking about?
10k? 150k? 480M?

If it's below 10k or even 1k, it shouldn't really matter.

>      Thanks.

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org