httpd-users mailing list archives

From Steven Simpson ...@comp.lancs.ac.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] Buffering of huge POSTs to CGI and alternatives
Date Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:43:33 GMT
Hi,

I intend to have a CGI program extract a form field and deliver this
data to an external system, but the field in question is likely to be
huge.  The server can't invoke the program until it knows the length of
the request body, in order to set CONTENT_LENGTH in the program's
environment.  If the POST doesn't include a Content-Length field, the
server will have to buffer the entire contents somewhere.  Can it deal
with huge message bodies, such as those exceeding virtual RAM, by saving
to disc (for example)?

How does FastCGI/fcgid compare?  Will it handle huge POSTs any better?
My cursory reading of the FastCGI spec suggests that it doesn't have to
know the content length to deliver it, because it is sent in chunks.

Thanks,

Steven