httpd-users mailing list archives

From Igor Galić <i.ga...@brainsware.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content Length Vs Chunked Encoding
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2010 13:03:24 GMT

----- "Madan Udaykumar" <mad.uday@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Apache 2.2.8 server installed on Ubuntu. I want to enable
> the server to send me chunked encoded data when I request data from
> the server. I looked at all FAQ, google etc and could not find exact
> answer to enable this.
>
> Appreciate if you can let me know how exactly to do this.

The point of chunked encoding is that it's sent out only when a
number of conditions are met:

* The client supports chunked encoding
 - This is implied by a client advertising itself as HTTP/1.1
 - or by clients who explicitly send out the TE request header
   (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.39)
* The server cannot determine the content length.
 - For a User-Agent using a protocol prior to HTTP/1.0, the content
   simply will be sent out without a Content-Length header.

This means that it's very easy to provoke a chunked transfer-encoding
from a module producing dynamic content.

> Thanks
> -Madan

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883