httpd-users mailing list archives

From Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Options for multiple SSL domains on 1 server
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2010 21:04:28 GMT
I need to set up SSL certificates for multiple domain names on a
single server.  I've done some research and I think these are my

1. use multiple IPs
drawbacks: requires separate apache2 config for each SSL domain, extra
IPs must be allocated by the hosting company

2. use multiple ports
drawbacks: requires separate apache2 & firewall config for each SSL
domain, port numbers look weird in the URL

3. Server Name Indication
drawbacks: browser support is not widespread enough yet

4. X.509 v3 with subjectAltName
drawbacks: ???

Are there other options?  Are there drawbacks to relying on X.509 v3
with subjectAltName, or is that the way to go?

- Grant