httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Thomas Lindgren <thomas.lindg...@diino.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Debian Lenny + MaxRequestsPerChild
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:14:16 GMT
2010/10/2 Igor Galić <i.galic@brainsware.org>

>
> ----- "Thomas Lindgren" <thomas.lindgren@diino.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We just upgraded to Debian Lenny and saw some unexpected behaviour
> > from an Apache node running a mod_perl2 app which I hope someone here
> > can explain.
> >
> > After running the system for a short while, the server stops accepting
> > requests. Checking the system, we can see that all workers have
> > disappeared but the apache2 parent process remains alive. There's no
> > relevant information in the access or error logs. After some
> > experimentation, we have also found that if we restart the server with
> > MaxRequestsPerChild set to zero, it seems to keep going. It thus looks
> > like the workers stop after serving MaxRequestsPerChild, then are not
> > restarted.
> >
> > So, any ideas about what's going on or how to troubleshoot this would
> > be appreciated.
>
> Can you get a strace from the parent once, or shortly before it reaches
> such a state?
>
> gdb would also be a plus...
>
> gcore $pid etc..
>
> It could also be that some of Debian's patches are causing this..
>
> you could try to compile (the latest versions of) httpd and mod_perl2
> and see if you can reproduce this behaviour.
>
> (See https://scm.brainsware.org/svn/webstack/linux/Makefile on how
> to compile for Debian)
>
> But before going down that rourte ith might be worth elaborating
> what your httpd does, other then serve a mod_perl2 application.
> Since you do have a number of other modules loaded which could
> be useful or suspects in this case.
>
>
Hi Igor,

Thanks for the tips, we'll try to reproduce this first with strace/gdb
active. Second, checking this with a clean compile might be a good idea too.
The mod_perl2 app is mainly used for extended/hacked WebDAV-access and has
been in production for a couple of years under Debian Etch (where we haven't
seen this sort of behaviour before).

By the way, the version with MaxRequestsPerChild = 0 stayed up over the
weekend, so it seems to be a  workaround of sorts. But we'd prefer to use
the original config, so we'll do some more investigating even so.

Best regards,
Thomas
-- 
Thomas Lindgren, Chief Technology Officer, Diino AB

Mime
View raw message