httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Reserving a thread for request against mod_jk in apache server.
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2010 09:25:46 GMT
On 14.10.2010 17:49, Oscar Celada wrote:

> I have installed apache httpd 2.2.10 with mod_jk 1.2.28 and tomcat 6.0.29 (a
> cluster with six nodes).
>
> Some times apache has all his threads busy (512), in theses moments I want
> to change same parameter in the jk module
> (I know which is the tomcat of my cluster that cause this problem and I want
> check out this node from my cluster).
> The problem is that the apache is collapsed and It doesn't response that the
> request that I do against the jk module (I suppose that is because apache
> doesn't has got one free thread).
>
> Is there any way to book one thread for request against mod_jk in the apache
> server?

No, either you have to detect the situation in advance, so that not all
threads are aleady blocked - which under high load might be difficult -
or you have to switch to other solutions:

- configure better timeouts for mod_jk, so that those threads don't stay
stuck. See for example the sample configuration contained in the mod_jk
1.2.30 source tarball download. The sample configuration in older mod_jk
downloads is pretty outdated.

- set activation for the broken Tomcat to "stopped" in the
workers.properties and do a hard "restart" of Apache (which will also
stop all other running requests, but in such a situation it is unlikely
that the web server is still able to serve requests).

In case there's more questions: the right list to discuss mod_jk is the
Tomcat users mailing list.

To subscribe, send mail to

    users-subscribe@tomcat.apache.org

Regards,