httpd-users mailing list archives

From 菊池 裕 <kikuchi...@jp.fujitsu.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] mod_proxy_ajp failed to connect infrequently
Date Tue, 12 Oct 2010 02:07:52 GMT
Thanks for getting back to me.

 > Could it be a timeout while waiting for the reply? Add "%D" to your LogFormat and check,
how long those requests take.

The following is an Apache's access_log when the HTTP 503 error occured.
It seems the request took only "42ms" so I think it's not because of a timeout.

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx - - [09/Aug/2010:03:38:32 +0900] "GET /api/alive.jsp HTTP/1.1" 503 2366 0
42324

 > I didn't understand the "the errors disappeared instead of cping/cpong retry occurrence"
part of your question.

I'm sorry I'm not good at using English well.

It's my understanding that:
  1. "ping" option gets Apache to check the connection to the backend.
  2. If the first CPing/CPong check doesn't succeed, it will reestablish a new connection
to the backend and run one
more CPing/CPong.

When I set "ping=1" option to ProxyPass directive, Apache failed the first CPing/CPong check,
but succeeded at
connecting to backend by the second CPing/CPong.
So HTTP 500/503 error didn't occur.

I wonder if the connection will break instantaneously(within 1 second).
Would you give me any comments about this phenomenon?

(2010/10/08 20:19), Rainer Jung wrote:
> On 08.10.2010 09:33, Yu Kikuchi wrote:
>> My environment is Apache 2.2.11 and JBoss AS 5.0.0.
>> There were no messages in JBoss's access log when the error occured.
>>
>> I had changed the setting to use "mod_proxy_http" the day before yesterday,
>> then not HTTP 503 error but 502 error occured.
>> Are anybody onto something about this error?
>>
>> Are there any ideas to pursue the exact cause of it?
>>

>> (2010/10/07 18:50), Yu Kikuchi wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> Apache wrote such as following messages into error_log and returned HTTP 500/503
error infrequently.

>>> [error] (104)Connection reset by peer: ajp_ilink_receive() can't receive header
>>> [error] ajp_read_header: ajp_ilink_receive failed
>>> [error] (120006)APR does not understand this error code: proxy: read response
failed from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8009
>>> (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)
>>>
>>> I have installed Apache and JBoss Application Server into the same server.
>>> I suspected mod_proxy_ajp caused the errors because JBoss hasn't logged any messages
and left indications of abort.

>>> After the setting of "ping" options, the errors disappeared instead of cping/cpong
retry occurrence. Exactly:

>>> <Location /test>
>>> ProxyPass ajp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8009/test ping=1
>>> </Location>
>>>
>>> I examine prior occurrences, but nobody told about the cause of this phenomenon.
>>> Does anybody tell me why the errors came up?
>
> Could it be a timeout while waiting for the reply? Add "%D" to your LogFormat and check,
how long those requests take.

> I didn't understand the "the errors disappeared instead of cping/cpong retry occurrence"
part of your question.

> Regards,
>
> Rainer

~信頼と技術で応えるSSL~