httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Compression problem - super newbie
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2010 10:16:53 GMT
On 08.10.2010 20:14, James Buchholz wrote:
> No Compression is happening.  Is there any trick that I'm missing?
>
> I set up SetOutputFilter DEFLATE, as you'll see below and
> uncommented LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
>
> This is Apache2.2 on a windows box.  I'm not sure which Apache build.
>
> I'm grabbing these files from the Apache with a VB6 program that I
> wrote.  Could this be the problem?  I would think that it supports
> compression...
>

> *
> *
> *What I've tried so far*
> I wasn't sure if this was necessary but I uncommented it.
> LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
>
> And I wanted to compress everything in the Files directory.
> <Directory "C:/Voice/Files">
>    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
>    Options None
>    Allow from all
>    Order allow,deny
> </Directory>
>
> And yet, compression does not appear to be happening.

Use a CustomLog with a LogFormat that contains %{Accept-Encoding}i. That
fields will tell you, whether your http client supports compressed

In addition you can set

DeflateFilterNote Input uncompressed
DeflateFilterNote Output compressed
DeflateFilterNote Ratio ratio

and add something like "%{uncompressed}n/%{compressed}n (%{ratio}n%%)"
to the LogFormat to track compression easily.

Regards,

Rainer