httpd-users mailing list archives

From Sander Temme <scte...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Jserv issue ???
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2010 04:30:20 GMT

On Sep 9, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:

> > Run Apache 2.2.16 in front as reverse proxy, perhaps with mod_security to keep the
stuff you don't want out?  That would allow you to leave the Oracle stuff untouched.

> Wow!  Thank you for a clue.
>
> "Run Apache 2.2.16 in front as reverse proxy ..."
>
> What's that about?

You'd install a recent version of Apache (2.2.16 being the latest at this time) on the machine,
and run it on port 80 (or whatever the current Apache binds to; move the current one to a
different port like 81).  Then configure the front-end Apache to:

ProxyPass / http://localhost:81/
ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:81/

This way, clients will connect to the 2.2.16 on port 80, which will forward their requests
to the older httpd.

> The reason my client's come to this is, whenever a Firefox browser initiates a session,
the Apache service dies on Windows VM.

> I've tried to identify the crash root cause; but, of course, nobody will help with Apache
1.3.12. Does that affect your recommendation?

Bummer.  Hard to debug if you don't have debug symbols for the exact compile of the server,
which I don't suppose Oracle would be able to produce for you.  And then there would be very
few on this planet who could interpret the dump.

If anything, this circumstance reinforces my recommendation.  Apache 1.3 was never designed
to run on Windows, and insofar that it did has never been more than an experiment.  Apache
2.2 runs much better on Windows: the platform is considered a first class citizen.

Putting a more modern Apache in front of your old one will have it take care of the network
traffic and deal with any client idiosyncrasies.  And if a particular request or sequence
makes your 1.3 backend die, the request will still be logged by the front-end.  Newer Apache
versions also have more elaborate logging capabilities for troubleshooting.  This allows you
to filter out the culprit requests using mod_security or something like that, or rewrite them
to something that won't crash your 1.3.

You can also selectively proxy requests back, and eventually have everything served by the
modern front-end.  At that point you'd only pass the requests for the antiquated JServ stuff
back to the 1.3.

S.

> If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.
>
> I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...
>
> --
> Best Regards,
>
> Mike Schleif
> 612-235-6060
> http://mdsresource.net
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/schleif
> http://facebook.com/MDSResource
> http://twitter.com/mikeschleif

Sander Temme
sctemme@apache.org
PGP FP: FC5A 6FC6 2E25 2DFD 8007  EE23 9BB8 63B0 F51B B88A

View my availability: http://tungle.me/sctemme