httpd-users mailing list archives

From Mark Tischler <mark.tisch...@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] LDAP authentication with password encryption from browser to web server
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:14:09 GMT
  Eric,
     As I mentioned in the original posting, I was hoping to
avoid using SSL due to the performance hit that we would take
with it.  If there is a solution out there (changes to
httpd.conf or .htaccess files) that would allow me to pass the
encrypted password from the browser to the web server (which
would then pass it along to LDAP), that would be perfect.  As I
understand it, if one uses basic authentication with a .htpasswd
file, then the passwords *are* encrypted from the browser to the
web server (please tell me if I'm not understanding this
correctly).  The real question then is: is there something
comparable with LDAP authentication?  If not, I wonder if there
is anything in the works to do that?  That is, I did not see an
enhancement request in the list for Apache developers, so I'm
wondering if one needs to be created if nothing does yet exist
to do what I want.

Mark