httpd-users mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Which version of OpenSSL should be used to build Apache 2.2.16?
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 00:53:19 GMT
On 9/13/2010 7:43 PM, Sander Temme wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Robert Christian wrote:
>
>> Apache 2.2.16 is currently the "best available version" of the HTTP Server. I made
some changes to the source and need to recompile with OpenSSL. My question is, should I use
OpenSSL 0.9.8o or OpenSSL 1.0.0a? The latter is a more recent, major release, but Apache couples
HTTPD 2.2.16 with

> Apache HTTP Server 2.2.16 should build against either OpenSSL 0.9.8 or OpenSSL 1.0.
Let us know if you experience otherwise.

>>  OpenSSL 0.9.8o in their binary offering. See "Win32 Binary including OpenSSL 0.9.8o
(MSI Installer)" on the download page.

> The Windows binary is not a release by the Apache Software Foundation, but a courtesy
offering.  The person who built that decided to include the 0.9.8o version, which is entirely
up to him.

Note that the goal of the major.minor releases is to maintain binary compatibility.

That means that "neat stuff" like openssl 1.0.0a, is deferred for the next 'major'
release, which will be 2.4.0 (predated by some 2.3-betas once those are released).