httpd-users mailing list archives

From John List <johnl...@gulfbridge.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] High load apache
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:33:14 GMT
On 09/13/2010 12:41 PM, Paras pradhan wrote:
> John,
>
> I am testing to support 300 requests / second. concurrent parameter in
> ab does test number of Established tcp session per second if I am not
> mistaken.
>
> Thanks
> Paras.

Sorry again, Paras. This time I erred in two ways: I said you were
testing at *300* /connections/ per second. Actually, your -c parameter
is 100 so you are testing at *100* /concurrent requests/ (not requests
per second; the actual number of requests per second is probably far
higher).

Suggestions:

    * Post your complete ab results back here
    * You might want to run your test against a (non-encrypted) http url
      (as well as the encrypted https url you are using) to see to see
      if  the encryption process is a significant part of the processing
      time. (I'm guessing it will be.)

FWIW, I'm posting my own ab results below. I ran ab from my desktop
against a simple login screen on a webserver running on a dual-core
laptop on the same local network using a command of "ab -t 10 -c 30
http://192.168.1.3/Login.html". As you can see, I was actually
completing 573 requests per second!:

# ab -t 10 -c 30 http://192.168.1.3/Login.html
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, http://www.zeustech.net/
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, http://www.apache.org/

Benchmarking 192.168.1.3 (be patient)
Completed 5000 requests
Finished 5734 requests

Server Software:        Apache/2.2.12
Server Hostname:        192.168.1.3
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /Login.html
Document Length:        2409 bytes

Concurrency Level:      30
Time taken for tests:   10.002 seconds
Complete requests:      5734
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      16439378 bytes
HTML transferred:       13813206 bytes
Time per request:       52.328 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       1.744 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          1605.14 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    0   0.4      0       7
Processing:     4   50  68.6     41    1918
Waiting:        3   49  68.4     41    1918
Total:          4   50  68.6     42    1919

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%     42
  66%     46
  75%     50
  80%     53
  90%     81
  95%    120
  98%    180
  99%    282
 100%   1919 (longest request)
#

I hope this helps. (And thanks for introducing me to ab!)

John