httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <rainer.j...@kippdata.de>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Upgrade 1.3.12 -> 2.2.16: Reverse Proxy issues [WAS: Jserv issue ???]
Date Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:58:20 GMT
On 11.09.2010 04:12, Mike Schleif wrote:

> On 9/10/2010 3:19 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:
>  >
>  > On 9/10/2010 12:07 PM, Sander Temme wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On Sep 10, 2010, at 5:23 AM, Mike Schleif wrote:
>  > >
>  > >> SSL: move all SSL to the new frontend? No SSL running on legacy web
>  > server?
>  > >
>  > > Absolutely. You'll find that Apache 2.2.16 comes with mod_ssl
>  > bundled. Terminate SSL on the currently shipping server.
>  > >
>  > > Note that the Apache Software Foundation only ships source code: an
>  > important distinction on a platform that doesn't bundle the web server
>  > by default, and where users usually don't wield compilers. However, a
>  > build with and without SSL enabled is usually made available as a
>  > courtesy, and can be downloaded from
>  > http://httpd.apache.org/download.cgi . You may also find Windows builds
>  > on sites like http://www.apachelounge.com/ .
>  > >
>  > > S.
>  >
>  > Is there more to it than ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse ?
>  >
>  > I found this:
>  >
>  > http://www.apachetutor.org/admin/reverseproxies
>  >
>  > I want this to work as simply as possible. I know that SSL moves to the
>  > NEW server. Which modules need I load? According to the above link, I
>  > think we need these:
>  >
>  > ### MUST have for Reverse Proxy
>  > LoadModule proxy_module modules/mod_proxy.so
>  > LoadModule proxy_http_module modules/mod_proxy_http.so
>  > LoadModule headers_module modules/mod_headers.so
>  > LoadModule deflate_module modules/mod_deflate.so
>  > ###
>  >
>  > However, that link also mentions the following, which I do not find in
>  > the httpd.conf:
>  >
>  > LoadFile /usr/lib/libxml2.so
>  > LoadModule xml2enc_module modules/mod_xml2enc.so
>  > LoadModule proxy_html_module modules/mod_proxy_html.so
>  >
>  >
>  > Please, advise. Thank you.
>
> Still not certain whether or not we need the XML and HTML modules. Do we?

You don't need it in general. mod_proxy_html allows very powerful
rewriting of e.g. links contained in the responses returned from the
backend server. If the backend includes self-referential absolute links
and you have to rewrite them to point to the proxy instead (fifferent
name or different port), mod_proxy_html is very useful.

As long as the wrong URLs only occur in redirects, a simple
ProxyPassReverse suffices. If you only want to replace very simple
patterns in the content of the responses, mod_substitute might do, which
is nowadays bundled with Apache 2.2.x.

Regards,

Rainer